|Source : Pixabay|
Here's how make it :
Read too : Crispy Bitter Gourd
- 2 large or 3 medium beets thoroughly washed
- 2 large or 3 medium potatoes sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 4 Tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 carrots grated
- 1/2 head of cabbage thinly sliced (see picture)
- 1 can kidney beans with their juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 cups water
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 5 Tbsp ketchup
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp chopped dill
- Fill a large soup pot with 10 cups of water. Add 2 - 3 beets. Cover and boil for about 1 hour. Once you can smoothly pierce the beets with a butter knife, remove from the water and set aside to cool. Keep the water.
- Slice 3 potatoes, add into the same water and boil 15-20 minutes.
- Grate both carrots and dice one onion. Add 4 Tbsp of cooking oil to the skillet and saute vegetables until they are soft (7-10 minutes). Stir in ketchup when they are almost done cooking.
- Meanwhile, thinly shred 1/2 a cabbage and add it to the soup pot when potatoes are half way done.
- Next, peel and slice the beets into match sticks and add them back to the pot.
- Add 6 cups chicken broth, lemon juice, pepper, bay leaves and can of kidney beans (with their juice) to the pot.
- Add sauteed carrots and onion to the pot along with chopped dill.
- Cook another 5-10 minutes, until the cabbage is done. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I usually don't have to add any unless I use low sodium broth.
Read too : Noodles Super Salad
Food is ready!