|Gulab Jamun - Pixabay|
Here's how make it :
- 100 Gram Khoya (firmly packed)
- 1 Tbsp Refined flour or soojee
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Tbsp Milk (mixed with a little water)
- 4 Green cardamoms (slightly crushed)
- Cube of bread
- With the heel of your palm or the base of a flat metal bowl, mash the khoya, so that no grains remain.
- Mix in the flour and baking soda and knead into firm dough. You can use a food processor too.
- The dough should be firm but pliable and should not feel dry. If it does feel dry, wet your hands and work the dough again.
- Shape the dough into marble-sized balls (jamuns) that are smooth and creaseless. The shape can be round or oblong.
- Heat ghee in the kadahi till a piece of dough tossed in comes up at once.
- Lower heat and fry a cube of bread till light brown (this lowers the temperature of the ghee).
- Lift out bread and add as many jamuns as will fit in, without one touching the other.
- Keeping the heat low, fry these till a golden brown all over.
- Drain the jamuns out of the ghee, and fry the next lot, increasing the heat for a few seconds and then lowering it again before adding the jamuns.
- Keep the gulab jamuns aside till the syrup is ready.
- Mix the sugar and water and place over low heat, stirring till the sugar dissolves. Make sure it does not boil.
- Increase the heat once the sugar dissolves, and then bring mixture to a boil.
- Add the milk and water mixture and continue boiling over high flame, without stirring.
- Skim off any scum that collects on the sides of the pan.
- Cook till syrup thickens a bit. A finger dipped in slightly cold syrup should form a coating on it for a few seconds.
- Take syrup off stove and cool for a minimum of half an hour. Strain through a fine nylon sieve or muslin cloth.
- Add cardamom and bring syrup to a boil again.
- Add the fried gulab jamuns to it and put off the heat. Let jamuns soak for at least half an hour before serving.
Read too : Escargot in Garlic and Parsley Butter
Gulab Jamun ready! Enjoy your Weekend!!!