|Tamales - Pixabay|
Here's how make it :
Read too : Arepa Recipe
- 3 1⁄2 lbs pork shoulder or 3 1⁄2 lbs pork butt, trimmed of fat and cut up
- 10 cups water
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups red chili sauce (see Red Chili Sauce (To Be Used With Traditional Tamales) for red chili sauce)
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 6 cups masa harina
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 50 dried corn husks (about 8 inches long)
- In a 5 qt Dutch oven, bring pork, water, onion, garlic and 1 1/2 salt to boil.
- Simmer covered, about 2 1/2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove meat from broth and allow both meat and broth to cool. (Chilling the broth will allow you to easily remove the fat if you desire to do so).
- Shred the meat using 2 forks, discarding fat.
- Strain the broth and reserve 6 cups.
- In a large sauce pan, heat the red chili sauce and add meat; simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
- To make masa beat shortening on medium speed in a large bowl for 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, stir together masa harina, baking powder and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Alternately add masa harina mixture and broth to shortening, beating well after each addition. (Add just enough broth to make a thick, creamy paste).
- In the mean time, soak corn husks in warm water for at least 20 minutes; rinse to remove any corn silk and drain well.
- To assemble each tamale, spread 2 tablespoons of the masa mixture on the center of the corn husk (each husk should be 8 inches long and 6 inches wide at the top. If husks are small, overlap 2 small ones to form one. If it is large, tear a strip from the side).
- Place about 1 tablespoon meat and sauce mixture in the middle of the masa.
- Fold in sides of husk and fold up the bottom.
- Place a mound of extra husks or a foil ball in the center of a steamer basket placed in a Dutch oven.
- Lean the tamales in the basket, open side up.
- Add water to Dutch oven just below the basket.
- Bring water to boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and steam 40 minutes, adding water when necessary.
- To freeze these for future meals, leave them in the husks and place them in freezer bags. To reheat, thaw and wrap in a wet paper towel and reheat in the microwave for 2 minutes for one or two or re-steam them just until hot.
Read too : Tafelspitz Recipe
Food is ready!